What happens if I transfer stock to my children?

January 21, 2005

Subject:  transferring stock
From:  W. C.
Date:  Wed, 15 Dec 2004

If I want to transfer stock I have to my children, what must I do and is there a cost?


Date:  20 Dec 2004

Hello W. C.,

If the stock is in a brokerage account, see your broker about how to make the transfer. If the stock is not publicly traded, you should consult with an attorney. You may transfer up to $11,000 in value to each of your children without being required to report the transfer on gift tax Form 709. If your transfer exceeds that amount, consult with a tax return preparer for help with the form.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

For answers to new questions, subscribe to our newsletter, Michael Gray, CPA's Tax & Business Insight by filling out the form below.

Home    Newsletter Archive    Introducing Michael Gray, CPA    Articles    Tax FAQ   Need Help?    Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Our Blog

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy