Do I qualify as a full-time student?

April 19, 2004

From:  Steve
Date:  Sat, 27 Mar 2004

Hey Mike,

At the beginning of each semester, I was considered a full-time student. During the mid-point, I dropped classes. Do I have to be enrolled full-time for the entire semester to be considered a full-time student for my parents to claim me as a dependent?


Date:  Fri, 2 Apr 2004

Hello Steve,

It appears to me to be based on the facts for a month-to-month basis. You must have been enrolled as a full-time student for five months during the taxable year to meet the full-time student exception for ages 19 to 23.

Do yourself and your parents a favor. Stick with your studies and finish those classes. Time is passing, and "time is money"!

Good luck!
Mike Gray

For answers to new questions, subscribe to our newsletter, Michael Gray, CPA's Tax & Business Insight by filling out the form below.

Home    Newsletter Archive    Introducing Michael Gray, CPA    Articles    Tax FAQ   Need Help?    Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Our Blog

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy