Can I claim my Ukrainian stepson as a dependent?

November 8, 2006

Date:  Fri, 06 Oct 2006
From:  Christopher


I'm in the military and stationed in Belgium. My wife is a citizen of Ukraine and has her ITIN. My stepson, who is a citizen of Ukraine, does not have an ITIN or SSN. He has lived with me over a year and is 8 years old.

What will I need to do to claim him as a dependent in 2006?


Date:  Wed, 01 Nov 2006

Hello Christopher,

I'm sorry, but as far as I can tell your stepson would have to be a citizen or national of the US or a resident of the US, Mexico or Canada in order to qualify as a dependent. I haven't found an exception for children of military personnel.

If the child was a resident of the U.S. for even a few days, he might qualify.

There is an exception for an adopted child. A non-citizen, non-resident adopted child can qualify as a dependent provided the child had the same principal place of abode as the taxpayer, is a member of the taxpayer's household and the taxpayer is a citizen or national of the United States. (Internal Revenue Code Section 152(b)(3)(B).)

Two months is a short time to process an adoption, but this might be a possibility for you.

Good luck!

Mike Gray

For answers to new questions, subscribe to our newsletter, Michael Gray, CPA's Tax & Business Insight by filling out the form below.

Home    Newsletter Archive    Introducing Michael Gray, CPA    Articles    Tax FAQ   Need Help?    Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Our Blog

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy