Can my son's father claim him as a dependent?

September 13, 2006

Date:  Fri, 19 May 2006
From:  Jennifer

My son's father and I are currently in the process of writing up our court papers for visitation and support in Indiana. We were never married.

Since we were never married, does he have any right to claim my son as a dependent on his income tax returns? I make way less money and can't pay my bills without the exemptions I claim.

I am worried that he is going to want to provide that we have to alternate claiming the exemption on alternative tax years. Since we were never married, does he have that option?


Date:  02 Jun 2006

Hello Jennifer,

You have said this man is your child's father. This does provide the possibility that he could claim your child as his dependent. If the child is living with you for more than one-half of the year, you are entitled to claim the child as your dependent by default. He can only claim that your child is his dependent if you agree to waive claiming the exemption and to let him claim it.

Good luck!

Mike Gray

For answers to new questions, subscribe to our newsletter, Michael Gray, CPA's Tax & Business Insight by filling out the form below.

Home    Newsletter Archive    Introducing Michael Gray, CPA    Articles    Tax FAQ   Need Help?    Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Our Blog

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy