How do I reduce my paycheck withholding?

February 9, 2005

Subject:  tax question
Date:  Thu, 27 Jan 2005
From:  Cindy


Since I started a new job a couple of years ago, I've been having too much taken out of my paycheck to cover Federal and state taxes. We're ending up with a big refund. I'd rather the money was in our pockets throughout the year.

Do I change my W-4 to have less income taxes taken out?




Date:  Mon, 31 Jan 2005

Hello Cindy,

Yes. There is a worksheet on the form to help you figure the number of exemptions you are entitled to. Watch your withholding after the change to be sure you are at least paying in last year's tax. Consider having a tax advisor help you with this.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

For answers to new questions, subscribe to our newsletter, Michael Gray, CPA's Tax & Business Insight by filling out the form below.

Home    Newsletter Archive    Introducing Michael Gray, CPA    Articles    Tax FAQ   Need Help?    Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Our Blog

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy