Can I change my W-4 during the year?

May 9, 2005

Subject:  Form W-4
From:  Gloria
Date:  Tue, 26 Apr 2005

I have two questions pertaining to Form W-4 (Federal Withholding.)

  1. Can you make as many changes as you want to your W-4 form during the year?

  2. Does a W-4 form have to be a perfect copy - no errors or scratched items on it?

Thanks for your assistance,


Date:  Mon, 02 May 2005

Hello Gloria,

  1. You can make changes by submitting new W-4 forms throughout the year. There may be practical issues of having your employer give them effect when computing payroll.

  2. Form W-4 doesn't have to be pristine. However, you can easily get "fresh" copies at the IRS web site,, so why not do so?

Good luck!
Mike Gray

For answers to new questions, subscribe to our newsletter, Michael Gray, CPA's Tax & Business Insight by filling out the form below.

Home    Newsletter Archive    Introducing Michael Gray, CPA    Articles    Tax FAQ   Need Help?    Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Our Blog

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy