Are we responsible for withholding when we issue a Form 1099-MISC?

October 25, 2002

Date:  Tue, 10 Sep 2002
From:  Lauren

I have a question you may be able to help clarify. If we have a non-employee who is paid with a 1099, are we responsible for withholding, or would we just supply the taxable income information?

Thank you.


Date:  Wed, 16 Oct 2002

Hello Lauren,

You just supply the information report, unless the service provider is a non-resident of the United States or is subject to backup withholding. Some states also require withholding when a service provider is providing services within the state but is a resident of another state. See your tax advisor about how the rules work in your state.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

For answers to new questions, subscribe to our newsletter, Michael Gray, CPA's Tax & Business Insight by filling out the form below.

Home    Newsletter Archive    Introducing Michael Gray, CPA    Articles    Tax FAQ   Need Help?    Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Our Blog

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy